Call for Submissions
a conduit for creative interactions
Call for Art
Application DEADLINE: July 19, 2017
Submission is FREE
Notification of Acceptance: August 7, 2017
(All submissions will be reviewed by a professional panel selected by FLOOD)
Event dates: October 7 – 21, 2017 (projects may range from ephemeral to durational)
Where: Public and private, fixed and transitory locations across Long Beach, CA
The five senses connect us with real-time experience, a point which artist Robert Morris referred to as “the apex of time’s flow.” The artist group FLOOD will offer opportunities to collectively experience this apex through a multi-sensory art event called PUMP, presented in unconventional spaces and unexpected locations across Long Beach, from October 7 – 21, 2017.
Artworks will address any or all of the senses, which may serve as subject matter, medium, catalyst, or receptor. The art projects—some interactive and some self-contained—will include sculptures, environments, installations, site-responsive works, interactions, timed and ongoing performances, conceptual pieces and presentations, placed in sites both indoors and out. Experiments are encouraged and surprises are welcomed.
Please see our About Locations page for information regarding some of our potential sites, with accompanying photos.
This inaugural event is catalyzed by our belief that creativity, interconnectedness, and exchange are key ingredients in the making of a meaningful life. Our budget is limited, so any costs for production of work and/or travel expenses are the artist’s responsibility. We appreciate your generosity. FLOOD will gladly write letters of recommendation for those artists seeking funds elsewhere.
If you are invited to participate in PUMP, your name, likeness, and images of your work may be used for publicity purposes and materials related to this event, including, but not limited to, press releases, advertising posters, publications, audio and video recordings and websites.
By submitting your application electronically, you authorize the use of your name, likeness and work for the above-mentioned purposes. Please note that all other personal information (address, telephone numbers, etc.) is strictly for internal business.
- Artist or group name
- Contact name
- Phone number
- Email address
- A clear photo of your face (akin to a passport or driver’s license photo) or a group shot for an art collective
- 1 page resume
- Bio (200 words maximum)
- Artist statement (200 words maximum)
- Important considerations: most all of the spaces used for PUMP will be unconventional. They will not be suitable for traditional art display (e.g. framed works hung on a wall with gallery lighting). We are seeking works that address one or more of the senses.
- Please specify which category or categories your work fits into:
- digital projection
- conceptual work
- other (please specify)
- Up to three (3) proposals.
- A brief text description of the work(s) (200 words maximum) including approximate dimensions.
- Format (high resolution, as they may be used in promotional materials, catalog, etc).
- Sound or video clips: mp3 upload, Soundcloud, YouTube or Vimeo embed (they can be set to unlisted.)
- Images that represents the piece (jpeg, at least 1800 pixels wide)
- If you propose to show still images, such as photos, please consider digital projection in a suite of 50 images or more
- Briefly describe your ideal site, and note which features are requirements and which are simply preferences (200 words maximum):
- Fixed or temporary site?
- Indoor or outdoor site?
- Volume level(s) of the piece(s) if applicable
- Approximate time needed for installation of the work (if applicable)
- Other site requirements (e.g. access to electricity, ventilation, running water, etc)
- Please note: while FLOOD will make every effort to support the realization of these projects, artists will be responsible for furnishing all of their own equipment.
Steps to submitting your work:
- 1. Register by creating an account here. Please pick a username that will make easy for the curators to identify you from your artist name.
- 2. Verify your account via an email the website will send you.
- 3. Log in with the username and password you created. Create your user profile. The login section will be in the right sidebar of every page.
- 4. Click “create a submission” in the right sidebar under Navigation.
- 5. Fill in the fields of the submission form. Please have a main image for your submission. You can enter YouTube, Vimeo, and Soundcloud embeds just by using the URLs. You can upload other files like .zip, .pdf, or .jpeg. If you don’t have everything ready, that is fine. You can come back and edit it later. Your submissions will be listed in the right sidebar under “My Submissions” after you create one.
- 6. View the photos of potential sites and let us know if you have preferences.
Please send any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Already registered and logged in? Start your submission process here.
To add yourself to our mailing list.